Monday, November 6, 2017

My Favorite Thing

One really fun and easy thing I have learned to do that brings me much joy on a daily basis is to lay in bed at the end of every day and think about what my favorite thing about that day was. 

Sometimes I have kept a notebook where I write down my favorite thing from each day.  At other times I just contemplate my day after I have turned off the light but before I fall asleep.  This exercise helps me to feel happy, and feeling happy as you fall asleep is a wonderful thing.  Studies show that your brain works all night on the last thoughts you have before going to sleep.  I like feeding my brain happy thoughts. 

It has been interesting for me to realize that there is practically no correlation between my to-do list that I work on all day and the things that end up being my favorite every night.

As I went back and read over several month's worth of favorites I had written down I noticed a pattern in the kinds of things I chose.  My favorites tended to focus on precious snuggling moments with grand-kids or my husband, working in my yard, one-on-one time spent with a child, teaching classes, and alone time doing something I wanted just for fun (often involving a movie or book and chocolate!)

I have also come to know myself better through doing this fun reflection each night.  I have learned what makes me happy--what brings me joy.  This is especially valuable to know when I need a pick-me-up, feel overwhelmed, or any number of other negative emotions that can bring me down.

I encourage you to take the time to pick a favorite thing each night.  Write it down, or don't write it down.  Get to know yourself better and what makes you happy. 


P.S. If your children are willing to do this exercise they will get to know themselves better and feel happier as well.  If they are willing to share their favorites with you, you will get to learn what means the most to them, and when they need some extra love you will know how to show it to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment