Monday, January 21, 2019

Sometime I Block the Sun

It is a fact that the sun greatly benefits us.    The sun helps our bodies produce vitamin D, which is important to strong bone growth.  It prompts our brains to promote higher levels of serotonin, which helps prevent depression (among other things).  According to online research  "Without the Sun's heat and light, the Earth would be a lifeless ball of ice-coated rock. The Sun warms our seas, stirs our atmosphere, generates our weather patterns, and gives energy to the growing green plants that provide the food and oxygen for life on Earth." 

The sun is vital to our existence. 

Lately I have noticed that sometimes I block the sun.  I find myself driving with my sunglasses on when the sun is not even out!  Sometimes I put my car visor down when the sun is not even shining in my eyes.  I tend to forget to open the sun roof and let the sunshine in.  I know some people who keep the blinds in their homes closed all the time instead of letting the sunlight in.  Last week I saw a woman at a department store with her sunglasses on inside the store, and it was dark outside.  Of course, she may have had a good reason, like she had been to the eye doctor that day, or she was hiding a black eye or something, but it still looked funny, and reminded me of blocking the sun. 

As I was thinking about this I realized that sometimes I not only block the sun, but the SON, our eternal light.  There are times when I unintentionally block the Son of God, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ from my life. His light helps our spiritual side grow and become strong.  His light helps us fight through many difficult situations.  His light is vital to our spiritual existence in ways too numerous to number here.  When I keep my spiritual blinds closed, or close my spiritual sun roof so the Son doesn't shine on me, or put my visor down, or keep my spiritual sunglasses on when they are not needed, I spiritually block the Son. 

As I pondered about what specific things I do to shut the Savior out of my life, I realized that when I forget to pray.....or I pray but forget to be present and forget to listen, or when I fail to follow promptings, or when I decide I can do something on my own not realizing I need his amazing light to show me the way, these are ways I block the Son. 
                                                               Why would I do that? 
Why would I block something that does good in my life, a source of inspiration and light and                                                                                   strength? 

I think I tend to unintentionally take the Son for granted.  I forget to pay close attention and I forget to appreciate, just like when I am wearing my sunglasses after the sun has disappeared behind the clouds.

I don't want to take the wonderful sun for granted, but even more I don't want to take for granted the beautiful light that the Son offers me.

1 comment: