Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Sometimes The Work Isn’t Fun

A month ago I started a temporary job while I am waiting for the Nursing job I really want to come open.  The Nursing job is worth waiting for.  Because this temporary job (not in the medical field) does not pay enough, I am working a lot of hours to bring in the income needed.  I have had to give up a lot of things that brought me great joy, and I feel like I basically do nothing but work, eat and sleep.  This new job is not fun.  It is not in my field of expertise.  It is not something I like or am good at.  In fact, I am not using my talents at all to do this job.  It involves a lot of driving (not my favorite) and hunting for items in unknown locations (definitely not my forte).

The other day as I was doing this unappetizing work I had the thought that my days were just being wasted doing nothing valuable.  As this idea began to grow in my mind I had to question if that was really true.

What is true that the things that felt like they gave my life meaning, and which I have been accustomed to having in my life are not there at the moment.  Does that mean that my days have no meaning, no benefit right now?  Are they truly "wasted days" except for the money they provide?  As I pondered this thought further I realized that even these hard, seemingly wasted days are of benefit.

What I am going through is HARD.  Even so, I realize that when open, I always learn from hard, and any time I’m learning the experience is not a waste. "Okay", I thought, "what am I learning from this hard experience?"  As I racked my brain I realized that I am being forced to make a choice to practice what I preach.....or not; to find good no matter my circumstance.....or not.  Do I really believe what I teach?  When things are tough and don't go as expected, what can I find that is good?

I realized that I am being humbled.  I realized that I am being refined.  It has taken me over a month, but I am starting to learn to find joy in this difficult and unpleasant job.

Are there good things about this job?  Yes, but I have had to look farther than usual to find them.

Will this experience change me in positive ways?  Yes, if I let it.

I know that I can come out of this experience more grateful, more appreciative when my "real" job comes open.  I will have more empathy for people who do this type of work.  I am learning to see the good that I am providing, a service that others need.

I am learning that while I am in a sea of strangers all day every day I can share a smile, be friendly, be a light to those around me in many tiny ways.  I can look for positive around me.  I can enjoy the scenery God has provided while I am driving.  I can appreciate a car that is warm and runs.  I can appreciate having a way to meet our financial needs.  I can feel thankful for a job that lets me work as many hours as I want.

I do not know if I will be doing this job for a week or a year.  I must gear up to find a way to be happy now, because the alternative of trudging through each dreary day unhappily is just one I don't want to live with.  And I don't have to.

1 comment:

  1. This resonated with me... I find that the key to happiness often starts with believing that I already have it.

    ReplyDelete