Monday, November 6, 2023

Giving It Away

 During a conversation with a friend, I was bemoaning what I thought I was missing in my life.  My wise friend suggested that I consider giving something away once or twice a week.  She taught me that it is a universal law that when you give you will also receive.  

I decided to give it a try.  I had nothing to lose.  Instead of once or twice a week, however, I decided to give something away every day for a month!  Each day I intentionally gave something away, and I kept track.  I found it somewhat challenging, and so much fun!  Some days I knew ahead of time what I was going to give.  Other days I looked throughout the day for an opportunity, and it came in the moment.  Here are some of my favorites:

  • A candy bar to the cashier checking me out at the grocery store. 
  • Homemade peach pie, zucchini bread and peaches to neighbors, family and friends.
  • House cleaning to a grown daughter
  • Babysitting to another grown daughter
  • My place in line
  • I gave grace to the car that cut me off
  • The gift of time and an attentive listening ear to the person who needed to talk
  • A whole day to help my husband on a project he was doing
  • Lots of sincere compliments
  • Hunted down a hard-to-find favorite fall treat for a friend and took it to her
At the end of the month, I had had so much fun I decided to keep going.  I just can't stop.  And what of  the things that I thought were missing in my life?  Somehow, things have been smoothed over, or maybe I'm just not looking at them any more.  Either way, I feel happy and content, which is what really counts anyway.  

I learned that the universal law my friend had taught me has several names, including the vacuum law of prosperity, the law of giving and receiving, and the law of circulation.  

Here it is in scripture form: Luke 6:38 says, "Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again."  Isn't that beautiful!

You may be wondering what I have received for all my giving?  Among other things I have been given free tickets to a comedy club, books I had wished for that were literally left in a gift bag on my doorstep, treats, and much more.  Among the most valuable things I have received are a sense of peace and well-being, the kindness of others, and that awesome feeling that comes when you have served someone in a meaningful way and met a need they could not meet for themselves.  

Do you want to feel better, happier and more peaceful?  Try 30 days of giving.  You will be amazed.  Let me know how it goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment