Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Power of Being Positive

I used to hate our dog.  She's an american Eskimo/golden retriever mix, which makes a beautiful dog, but I hated her.  Her constant shedding of white hair all over the house drove me nuts.  Her constant barking like crazy any time someone came to the house, her little disobediences when she knew she was being bad and did it anyway...... I could go on and on, but I won't.  I couldn't get rid of her.  The kids would have been devastated!  So I continued to put up with her and all the things that drove me crazy.

One day I realized that I was making myself miserable.  She didn't seem to care one bit whether I liked her or not.  In fact, she continued to follow me around wherever I went just as if we were the best of friends.  I realized that the only one I was making miserable was myself.  I decided that instead of constantly noticing the negative in her, I would look for the positive.  I started to notice how loyal she was to each family member, and how happy they were to see her when they came home.  I began to notice the joy she brought to my children.  I realized that I was glad that no one could come to my house unannounced when I was home alone because of her.  I noticed that she would gladly clean up anything that spilled on the kitchen floor all by herself!  I was surprised that the things that bothered me before seemed to melt into the background.  These aggravating annoyances became almost forgotten, and when remembered, were very slight recognitions that contained none of the vehement feelings that had accompanied them before.  I found myself much more at peace,and much happier!

I decided to try this idea with another thing I do not enjoy: Going to Walmart.  I hated how far away you have to park to get in.  I hated how you can never find anyone to help you.  I hated how crowded it is, and the always long lines.  I had a bad attitude about the place.  I decided to look for the good in going there.  The first thing I noticed was that it was nice weather outside, and the walk to get in was not that bad.  I noticed that they have practically anything you could want to buy in a place like that.  I came across a very short woman who was trying to reach for something very high and couldn't get it.  I got it for her and she was so grateful.  That made me feel good! I noticed the friendliness of the people in line in front of me, and the cheerful cashier who had been on her feet for hours.  I left there with a completely different experience and feeling than I had ever had before.

What changed?  The walk was still long, the help scarce, the lines long.  Nothing had changed.  Nothing except me.  I was amazed that I could go to the same store I have been going to for several years and, for once, come away with a completely different feeling.  Happiness instead of drudgery.  I marveled at how this is possible.  All I did was look for the good and ignore the bad, both with my dog and with going to the store.  Can it really be that simple?  Can simply looking for the good, and ignoring the bad make that big of a difference?  I am here to tell you that it is working for me, and the possibilities are endless!  Driving in traffic, your children, spouse or others, telemarketers and salesmen at the door, unpleasant tasks that you must do, or a job that you don't love. Anything!

Pick something that bugs you and try it.  You will be amazed at the difference!

5 comments:

  1. Amen It is so simple to look for the good and enjoy more of life. Loved your perspective! !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just think of all the positive things about Christmas movies.. SOrry, I couldn't resist. It truly does make a difference when you look for the positive. Whether you look for negative or positive, you WILL find it. Though still looking for the positive in meetings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I can't argue with you on that one! Lol!

      Delete
  3. I love this Shiree. I agree with you and love being reminded of it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete