Monday, September 18, 2023

Don't Forget the Keys

 I was on my way out to the door.  My dad had had surgery the week before and was now in a rehab facility.  Because it was over an hour drive away, and because I was planning to stay for a few hours, I was thinking ahead.  I packed my breakfast protein shake, found and filled up my water bottle, grabbed the white sack containing his favorite brownies, got my coat, phone and purse and headed out the door.  What an armful.  I felt like I was hauling half the house!

As the garage door shut behind me I saw my car and realized I was missing something, something small but important.  I realized I wasn't actually going anywhere without my KEYS.  I was totally prepared, had what I needed for the trip, knew how to get there....but none of that did any good without that ONE crucial item.  Without putting the key in the ignition and turning it, nothing else was going to happen.  I unloaded my arms into the front seat and went back into the house to get them.  It struck me as ironic how I seemed so completely prepared, and yet missing one small thing was holding me back from getting where I wanted to go.  

Sometimes we do that in life.  We have something in mind we want to accomplish, a "destination" if you will, and come up with all kinds of plans and ideas on how to accomplish it, but fail to recognize the one key thing to really move us forward.  

What destination are you trying to reach?  What key thing are you missing?

No idea?  May I make a suggestion?

I believe that all the answers are inside of you.  Try this exercise:

Get a pen and paper.  Find a comfortable and quiet spot.  Close your eyes.  Empty your brain of all thoughts except for your destination.  Focus on where you want to go.  Keeping your intended destination in mind, ask your brain "How?"  Then wait.  Let your brain go where it will.  Don't guide it.  Don't try to consciously think of ideas. Just relax and let your brain do the work itself.  Write down any idea that comes.  Do not filter ideas.  Just write them.  Studies show that the best ideas come when we are doing nothing, so just sit there and let your brain work on it.  Give this exercise 10-15 minutes. Once you are done, execute any ideas that have come as soon as possible (making sure that they are legal, ethical and moral). 

This may be the key you have been missing.  Done regularly, you will find your brain knows exactly what you need in order to turn the key in the ignition, start the engine, and get going. 


No comments:

Post a Comment