Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Running Red Lights

 Do you ever run red lights?  I do.  I try not to, but instead of slowing down when the light turns yellow, sometimes I speed up.  I don't want to sit and wait.  Do you do that?  

I have found that this does not necessarily get me ahead.  Sometimes I notice that I run a questionable light and the car behind me stops, only to catch up with me at the next light.  

Recently I ran a yellow-turned-red light that I should have stopped at.  I found myself behind a very slow public bus that I couldn't seem to get out from behind.  The cars on both sides were also going slow.  It was somewhat maddening.  I felt frustrated and annoyed.  As I was creeping along I wondered what would have happened if I had stopped at that light.  For one thing, I would have been far less frustrated sitting at the red light than creeping along, stuck, at five miles under the speed limit.  Also, when the light finally did turn green I would have been the first in line and could have accelerated to my desired speed at will.  

What is the lesson for me in all of this?  (Moment of introspection) 

I can keep running yellow-turned-red lights in hopes of getting to my destination a teeny tiny bit faster, risk getting a ticket, being involved in an accident, and being frustrated when the other cars don't maintain my desired speed, OR I can make a change.  

I could start slowing down at yellow lights and actually stopping when I'm supposed to.  I would feel better inside.  I wouldn't be looking around to see if there was a cop coming after me.  I wouldn't be risking an accident.  I would be the first one in line so I could choose my speed....all positives.  I guess it's just hard to stop when you're going full speed ahead, even when it makes total logical sense.

Of course this is also an analogy for life, and fairly easy to find where a positive change could be made.  Just look for the signs.  

Where and when in your life do you get frustrated most often?  

Where are other people "bugging" you because they are not doing what you want, when you want them to?  

When are you glancing around to see who is watching your behavior?  

AHA!  This is where to make a positive change.  

Think about it.  Mull it over.  Make a list of reasons to change, like I did about the light.  

Is it hard to stop current behavior, even when it doesn't serve you?  ABSOLUTELY.  

Is it worth it?  ABSOLUTELY.  Why?  Because you will stop feeling frustrated, irritated and worried.  Instead you will feel more content, calm and cool-headed.  You will feel happier.  Totally worth it.

So next time you see a strawberry blonde driving a pink car, sitting first in line at a red light, you'll know I figured it out.  



No comments:

Post a Comment