Monday, October 9, 2023

Learning to Love

 It's been a long journey.  Long.  And I'm not talking about my trip to Washington to attend a wedding this last weekend.

What I'm talking about is my mental journey to get to the place I have arrived at today.  You see, this wedding was for someone I dearly love and have known their whole life.  This wedding was not a "traditional" wedding, in the "old" way you would think of weddings.  This was a lesbian wedding.

If I'm being real and raw I was not all that comfortable with this idea not that long ago.  

I was totally fine with "you do your thing and I'll do mine"....up until the point where it hit close to home.  That's when it got hard.  

And so, part of my long road to this point has been about learning how to love each person...not for what they choose in life, but for who they are inside.  I'm ashamed to say that I have spent much of my life loving people conditionally.  That is, showing love and approval based on choices.  It took all seven of my children, as well as many other people that I love deeply to refine me and help me finally learn to love, really love people for who they are.  

It's not an easy thing to do.  

        Growth is hard.  

                                Movement is slow.  

                                                        Change is challenging.  

I have a story to tell, which will unfold gradually as I share my journey in the coming months.

For now I am just grateful that I could look into that bride's eyes, see her soul, and love her for the unbelievably beautiful person she has always been.  

I'm so grateful to have my heart opened in this lifetime, to let go of judgment and just love.  It feels so much better, and exactly what each of us deserves, to be seen and loved for who we are in our soul.  



No comments:

Post a Comment