Monday, October 16, 2023

An Imperfect Heart ♥

 Have you ever seen a perfectly shaped heart rock?  This one seems pretty close! 

 My husband was out hiking with a friend and happened to notice it.  Because he knows I love heart-shaped rocks he stopped, picked it up, and put it in his pocket.  I was thrilled when I saw it!  I have a large collection of heart rocks of all sizes (see my blog post from July 31, 2022).  
It's interesting though, if you turn the heart in any other direction it doesn't actually look like a heart at all.  While it may look quite perfect at one angle, it looks quite imperfect from other angles.  



People are like that too.  Sometimes others seem perfect.  From our angle, their life seems perfect.  Their house, family and job seem perfect.  They seem to have everything going for them.   Trust me, it isn't.  

Just like the rock, there are other angles.  No one's life is perfect.  We are all imperfect hearts.  We all have hard things, and we all make mistakes.  

The crazy thing is, I understand why I AM not perfect, and I don't think anyone should expect me to be, and yet often I expect perfection from others.  

From my angle I can totally justify when I have a bad day, or handle a situation wrong, or say the wrong thing,  but when someone else does it I am surprised.  Sometimes I have a hard time giving them grace, allowing them to be imperfect.  Why is that?  I think it is just our nature.  We either think the other person is perfect, or we expect them to be perfect.  They aren't.  They can't be.  They are just like you and me, doing the best they can.  

My little heart rock currently sits on a shelf behind my kitchen sink.  I am using it as a reminder to accept and love others for who they are, and allow them to be imperfect just as I hope they will allow me to be.   

We are all doing the best we can. ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment