Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Do You Have FOMO?


 

Do you have FOMO?  A fear of missing out?  You either have it, or you likely know someone who does.  This is the person who doesn't want to miss out on anything.  As a result, they overcommit, say "yes" when they should say "no", and stress themselves out trying to do everything and be everywhere.  Having FOMO is exhausting! 


Take me, for example.  With an already busy Saturday, I found out there was going to be a family gathering 40 minutes away at an inconvenient time for me.  I began an argument with myself:

  

"You definitely don't have time for that!"

"But people are going to be there that I want to see!"

"You just saw most of those people last weekend."

"But there are going to be a couple people there I haven't seen recently."

"And you are  not very close to those people."

"But they are driving so far to be there."

"That's their choice.  They haven't asked you to do the same."

"But I might miss out on something!"


You see how this goes.....


A healthy approach is to objectively weigh out the sacrifice while leaving the emotion (the fear of missing out) out of it.  Weigh it out.  Does it feel like a right fit?


Is it worth it to me to make the sacrifice to drive 40 minutes to see people I just saw, and a couple of people who may not even care if I'm there, just because I might miss out on something?  What might I be missing out on anyway?  


Sometimes it is worth it, and sometimes it isn't.  Sometimes you should say "yes".  And sometimes it's a  "no".  The goal is to keep yourself in emotional balance, the opposite of running yourself ragged trying to be everywhere and do everything! 😉


P.S.  If you missed my FREE webinar "The Top 3 Ways You are Beating Yourself Up - And How to Stop It", I am offering it again on Wednesday, August 9th, 2023.    Register here


New 4-week class starting August 22nd!  "Living an Elevated Life"  More info to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment