Monday, August 21, 2023

The Long Uphill

I started riding my bike for exercise this summer.  Near our home is a long, uphill road.  The upward  incline is somewhat gradual,  getting steeper and steeper as you near the top.  

When I  first started, I could only ride my bike about a third of the way up.  Now I can go much farther.  It’s been a process.  Part of it is physically building up those muscles, but the other part is mental.  


When I look up and see the very long hill in front of me, and how far I have to go to reach the top, I feel somewhat overwhelmed, like it’s too hard, too much.  


When I focus on what is right in front of me, pedaling through just the next few feet, it feels much more doable.  As I continue pedaling, keeping my eyes on what is right before me, repeating this over and over, I get where I’m trying to go. I eventually find myself at the top. 


For those who are futuristic, looking way ahead can be motivating.  For many though, it can be overwhelming.  


I find that my mental lesson in uphill bike riding  translates to what I am pushing myself to do in my life as well.  When I look at the big picture and how far I need to go, I get discouraged.  It feels too hard.  


When I focus on what is right in front of me, the next right step, and do that, and then the next right step after that, and so on, and so on, I find myself in the place I wanted to be.


What are you trying to do in your life that feels big and hard?


Is it possible that you are looking far ahead and getting discouraged or feeling overwhelmed?


Try this: Think about just what you need to do next. What’s the one next right step?  Focus just on that.  Don’t look at the big picture.  Take the step.  Then take one more, and one more.  Eventually you will find yourself in your intended destination.  Keep taking one step at a time in the direction you intentionally decide. 


Don’t give up.  Don’t get discouraged.  Just keep going.  As long as you do that, you can’t help but eventually find yourself where you intended to go.  

 For help getting where you want to go, join my 4-week online class "Living an Elevated Life", starting August 29th, 2023.  You will get awesome tools to help you take those next right steps, as well as support and coaching along the way.  Register here




No comments:

Post a Comment